Newsletter 21: 1st March 2019

Newsletter 21: 1st March 2019

‘The best that I can be’

World Book Day

We will be celebrating world book day on the 7th of March. The Theme this year is ‘Let’s share a story’.  The children are invited to dress up as their favourite book character and bring in their favourite book to share in class. The children will participate in a number of reading activities throughout the day and have lots of fun.

Read for Good  Readathon

The Readathon begins today and ends next Friday (8th March). Children who participate will be put into a draw and three lucky winners will receive a book.  We hope that the children will not only be able to raise money for this cause but also have fun doing so! 80% of the money raised will go to local hospitals to buy books and the other 20% will go to our school in book vouchers. Money needs to be in by 15th March.

School Uniform

You will find attached to this email and on the website, an updated school uniform list. During the consultation period, parents and staff felt that there needed to be a clearer, stricter policy in order to preserve our uniform and to make sure all the children look their best. The main changes are that:

No polo shirts will be worn for school, except in Reception (shirts with ties will be worn by all children in Years 1-1); polo shirts will replace t-shirts for PE (all should have logos); black shoes (not trainers) should be worn, even in the Summer; burgundy cardigans should be worn all year round.

PE trainers should be plain and dark and tracksuits should be black or navy.

Please could I also remind you that only school hats and scarves should be worn. I am planning on ordering some school caps and ties so that parents can avoid the delivery charge for these small items. We will set up a payment option on sQuid. Please let us know if you would like to purchase either of these items through the school.

HABCOS Traffic Meeting

HABCOS will be meeting about the traffic outside the school at 6.00pm this evening at the Education Centre at St. Francis Hospice. Your support would be most welcome.

Internet Safety

Parents will be aware that there has been a widely publicised online hoax. I am not going to give them extra publicity by going into detail, but I would just like to remind parents that they are responsible for monitoring their children’s online activity. Children should be encouraged to talk to their parents or teachers if they see anything that worries them (not to their friends at school). Thank you for your co-operation.

Attendance

Reception and 1 : 98.39% ; Class 2 : 98.21 % ; Class 3 and 4 :94.64 % ; Class 5 and 6 :98.21%

Term Time Dates

The term dates and INSET days for 2019-20 have now been published on our school website. Please check the dates carefully before booking any holidays. Once again, other local boroughs have holidays which slightly differ from Havering. The October half term is in a different week to Essex, for example. The school cannot authorise holidays during term time, even if they are booked at the wrong time by mistake.

Work of the Week

Reception/Year 1- Evie Parrish  for an excellent effort when planning a story about a little girl and a dragon

Class 2- Ella Murch for her fantastic creative writing and including great detail.

Class 3/4- Freddy Parrish for writing an entertaining story

Class 5/6- Tommy Randall for a well-written story in response to a picture and Faye Newman – carefully thought-out story writing

Commendations

Reception/Year 1-  Corie Singleton and Arthur Parrish  for giving very sensible suggestions when discussing how to make the road outside school safer

Class 2- Sian Stafford for being so kind and caring towards her friends

Class 3/4- Ellie Allen-Moss for patience and compassion towards others

Class 5/6- Aaliyah Bimpong for consistent effort and hard work

Achievements
Congratulations to Jaeden Aberdeen, for achieving his level 4 swimming, to Danielle Moran, for achieving her level 3 swimming and to Blake for achieving his level 1 swimming.

Well done to Ella and Emily Murch for earning skiing medals during half term.

Sapphire Hagon won 5 certificates and 2 trophies at the Stratford and East London Music Festival, including 1st Distinction for Singing Solo (grades 1 and 2).

Well done !

Dates for the Diary

Friday 1st March- HABCOS meeting about the traffic outside the school- 6.00pm Education Centre St. Francis Hospice

Thursday 7th March- World Book Day Dress-Up Day

Friday 12th April- Easter Service at St. John’s Church 1.30pm.

Dates for the Diary from the Friends of Dame Tipping

Mothers’ Day Breakfast- 29th March 2019

Fathers’ Day breakfast- 14th June 2019

           K. Waters

Mrs. Kathryn Waters

 

 

The Christian value we are learning about this term is ‘Forgiveness’