Newsletter 27: 1st May 2015
Newsletter 27: 1st May 2015
‘The best that I can be’
Dear Parents/ Carers,
This week, we had a visit from members of St Ursula’s Junior school, who passed the Havering School Games Torch to our Year 5 ‘Change for Life Champions’. The torch has been making a journey around all of the Havering schools as part of the Olympic legacy. Mrs. Potts and Mrs. Davies will be organising some fun sports events for next week to take place in school time to celebrate us having the torch. We will be passing it to Clockhouse school on 11th May.
Havering Music School
There will be a meeting for any parents who are interested in their children learning an instrument in school on Tuesday 19th May at 9.15am. Please let the office know if you wish to attend so that we know how many parents to expect. If you are interested in music lessons but are not able to attend the meeting, we can provide you with information about the service.
Friends of Dame Tipping
Thank you to everyone who came to the Friends meeting this week. The next meeting will be at 7.30pm on Wednesday 13th May at 7.30pm at the Orange tree pub on Orange Tree Hill. This will hopefully allow working parents to join us.
The Friends of Dame Tipping have also organised the following events (please put the dates in your diary):
- Quiz night (over 16s only) 8pm on 12th of June (a letter will be sent out soon)
- Summer Fayre Saturday 27th June 2-4pm
- Family barbecue and leavers’ graduation Wednesday 22nd July (straight after church)
All information will be on the friends’ Facebook page. If parents would like to be emailed about events etc, they can email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you know, we have signed up to a free 2 week trial of ‘Mathletics’: an online Maths homework program. All children should now have a log in. Please go to www.mathletics.co.uk to start the trial and do not forget to give me your feedback.
Any Old Cards?
Class 4 (Reception) would be very grateful for any unwanted greetings card for their shop. Please hand them to Mrs. James or Mrs. French.
Term Time Holidays
I made it very clear from the time I became Headteacher at Dame Tipping that I would not authorise any holidays in term time ; however, I have still had several requests from parents for term time holidays.
Good attendance is vital for good progress in school and I am disappointed that so many parents are not taking this into account. Any holiday taken during term time will result in the Local Authority contacting you and you may be fined. It is also important to remember that children will usually let slip if they have been on holiday, even when parents have told the school that they are ill. I think most parents would agree that it is not fair to ask children to lie to their teachers about this.
Well done to Class 3 and Class 2 who both had 99.3% attendance this week. Class 1 were just short of our target at 96.3%. Hopefully our Reception children will all be healthy and back to school next week.
Maisie Randall, Jack Webb, Faye Newman, Jack Percival, Deborah Ajayi, Neve Collins, Imogen Snell, Scarlett Kedadi, Scarlett Clarke, Sadie Turrell
Well done, everyone !
Congratulations to Ruth Airen, Joshua Airen and Ben Wapling for earning their pen licences for consistently neat, joined handwriting.
Well done to George Dignum and Tobi Oyetunde who have earned their place in this week’s Gold Book for excellent classroom behaviour.
Please note: there will be no clubs on Tuesday 5th May, due to whole staff Diocesan training. Thank you for your understanding.
Dates for the diary:
- Monday 4th May- Bank holiday
- Tuesday 5th May- No clubs (whole school diocesan training)
- Thursday 7th May 2015- School closed for polling day (INSET for staff)
- Wednesday 13th May- Friends Meeting at the Orange Tree-7.30pm
- Tuesday 19th May- Havering Music School meeting for parents- 9.15am
- Friday 22nd May and Monday 1st June- School closed for Teacher Training (These days fall either side of the May half-term week).
- Friday 12th June- Quiz Night at Dame Tipping School- 8pm
- Saturday 27th June- School Summer Fayre- 2pm
- Wednesday 15th July- Friday 17th July- Year 5 and 6 residential trip to Stubbers
- Wednesday 22nd July- Leavers’ church service followed by family BBQ-1.30pm
- Thursday 3rd September 2015- Return to school after Summer Holidays
Mrs. Kathryn Waters